The Days After

June 6, 2011

It’s been a few days since I spilled the beans to the boss, but today is my first day back in the office since I decided to pour all of my life altering plans into one day…that happened to be a Friday.

Up until this point I’ve been able to pat myself on the back for not letting the fact that the clothes, the people, and this “stellar” company won’t matter in a few short months. I’ve carried on, working just as hard as I can, no one the wiser. I thought that when I finally got our news off of my chest that I would not only feel a huge relief, but I would take on a new happier yet motivated attitude to finish my last few months with a gusto. The harder and faster I work, the faster the time will go by right?


Although my to do list was days long, all I could think about was what’s next. Finding a job, not finding a job and just focusing on The Barn, would our house sell, will I be sad if it does, what kind of foods am I going to showcase on the blog, what kind of projects do I want to tackle with my free time, did I remember to pay Liz back for our Brewfest tickets.

ANYTHING and EVERYTHING except the job in front of me. And I still have two months!

It is both a blessing and a curse to be able to speak freely about this exciting change in our lives. Two months is a blink of an eye in the grand scheme of things, yet at this moment, or rather in a moment much earlier today, as I stared at my computer screen filled with emails I had zero desire to read and a stack of samples daring me not to walk them upstairs, I just wanted it to be over. I would like to believe that I’ve been patient. I watched friends who started in my same training class all but run out the doors screaming with less than a year under their belts. I watched others dwindle day by day until their little lights were so dim you could barely see a spark and quitting was the only option. And even still I’ve watched others, who started well after me, leave and go on to acquire bigger and better paying jobs. I think it’s something that in four years, with a good three of them being pretty miserable, although I’ve grown to loathe the very smell of the building I work In, I’ve managed to maintain my hope and a smile. But like every handmade supple leather handbag, worn day in and day out, there comes a point where the lining starts to rip and the rich brown leather fades and thins, and you are left with the choice to hang it up for good or break out the polish and sewing kit.

This blog is my polish, and with any luck our time at the barn will provide the needle and thread I need to stitch myself back up and restore my sense of happiness and inspiration.

So to lighten up the day and take advantage of the gorgeous sun outside I decided to grill up some pizzas for dinner.

Grilled Tortilla Pizza (inspired by
Serves 2

2 Whole Wheat Tortillas
1 can Tomato Paste
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 Bell Pepper, chopped
1/4 Large Onion, chopped
3 Button Mushrooms, chopped
1 Handful Fresh Spinach, roughly chopped
1 T Italian Seasonings
1 c Lite Mozzarella
3 Leaves Fresh Basil

1. Turn grill to medium heat, place chopped veggies (minus spinach) into grill basket and grill until browned and tender, approximately 10 minutes.
2. In a bowl mix tomato paste, garlic and herbs. Spread on uncooked tortillas.
3. Split cheese into two servings and sprinkle over tomato paste.
4. Spread cooked veggies and spinach on top of cheese and place loaded tortillas on grill.
5. Grill on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until browned and crisp.
6. Sprinkle fresh basil on top. Enjoy!

Serving Size = 1 pizza
*Special note for anyone on the new Weight Watcher Points Plus program. Each pizza is 6 pts.

Similar Posts